Photo courtesy of Simply Marvelous.
There are many different responses to rising fuel prices- driving less, complaining more, using more fuel efficient vehicles, or making your current vehicle more fuel efficient. One group has taken common tips to for fuel efficiency to the extreme- Hypermiling.
Hypermilers have six core techniques:
Both NPR and CNN have profiled Hypermilers recently, and it's clear that it's attractive to people as both a way to save money and to help cut down on emissions.
- First (and most important) step: Start recording your gas mileage. Easiest way? Use your trip odometer.
- Do you drive aggressively and not know it?
- How long are you sitting still at red lights?
- Keeping moving in traffic congestion
- Slowly accelerate after stops
- Your cruise control saves gas